Food & Water Europe is currently recruiting for a Campaign Officer to join its Brussels office. The person must be must be committed to Food & Water Europe’s values, vision and mission and; interested in fighting for safe food, clean water and healthy oceans. The Campaign Officer will work with the Director of European Affairs and a small, dedicated team to develop and implement legislative, field organizing and media strategies and campaigns in support of Food & Water Europe policy goals.
The Campaign Officer represents Food & Water Europe and works as a leader in local coalitions to broaden support for our policy goals. It is an exciting and creative job in a fascinating and challenging place to work. This position will be based in Brussels, Belgium, with the aim of a starting date in mid-January 2014.
- Build a strong base of organizations and individuals in support of our campaigns.
- Advise management of issues particular to assigned region that can improve Food & Water Europe’s effectiveness.
- Coordinate and develop coalitions on campaign issues and implement grassroots organizing and public education campaigns.
- Work with team to develop strategic campaign plans including long- and short-term goals, strategies and tactics.
- Maintain familiarity with a diverse set of issues and research products, and respond to information requests from activists, coalition members, policy makers and media.
- Develop education materials such as factsheets, action alerts, web site content and newsletter articles on various campaign issues. Maintain activist database and email lists to effectively communicate to members and supporters.
- Travel to target areas to motivate local organizations and individuals through public speaking, media appearances, strategic planning and training, and meetings with European and local governments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: University degree or equivalent experience required.
- Experience: At least two years of experience in grassroots/field organizing and/or advocacy on public policy issues as well as some management experience.
- Knowledge: Good understanding and experience of campaigning. Pan-European campaign experience and experience with organizing, advocacy and legislative strategy; familiarity with EU institutions, policies and legislative process; knowledge of consumer and environmental issues; experience working with the media.
- Knowledge of food or water and energy issues a plus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to adapt for a variety of audiences
- Ability to present technical concepts to a mass audience
- Ability to think creatively and quickly to respond to legislative developments and to take advantage of breaking news
- Demonstrated leadership capability
- Strong interpersonal skills for building new relationships and an ability to work well with a wide variety of people and to coordinate diverse tasks in an often high-pressured environment
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Works well under pressure and capable of multi-tasking efficiently
- Knowledge of online activism/social media and email listserves a plus
- Good attention to detail
- Strong initiative, ability to manage own work program without close supervision
- Minimal level of administrative skills required
- Conditions: Flexible and independent working style, with long hours and travel possible.
- Language: Excellent English writing, public speaking and presentation skills, ideally along with fluency in two other relevant European languages (especially French, Spanish or German).
Competitive salary, depending upon experience. We offer a standard Belgian contract covering insurance and public transport as well as generous paid leave.
This position will be based in Brussels, Belgium, with the aim of a starting date in mid-January 2014.