ONE is a campaign and advocacy organisation backed by over three million people from around the world who are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for the promises made to the poorest, and we press them to support better policies and more effective aid and trade reform. We also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency so these resources can be effectively deployed. ONE operates from Berlin, Brussels, Johannesburg, London, Paris and Washington DC.
MEDIA MANAGER, BRUSSELS
The Media Manager will lead on ONE’s media engagement in Brussels and may also lead and/or support ONE’s media efforts in other EU & G20 countries of strategic importance to our issues. This is a role for an experienced media practitioner to help ONE achieve its advocacy and campaigns objectives through media engagement. The Media Manager is a communications professional with a demonstrated interest in development issues and African current affairs. This role also has the ability to communicate complex issues concisely, and an understanding of how the media can influence policy change. Experience of the political scene in Brussels required. Significant media contacts would be a distinct advantage.
Reports to: Brussels Director. This role will also have a dotted line report to the Europe Communications Director.
Location: Brussels. Occasional international travel may be required.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
• Lead on ONE’s relations with EU-specific media outlets and Brussels-based correspondents from national media in our other key Europe markets – France, Germany and the UK - developing relationships with key journalists
• Work with media/PR agencies where appropriate, leading on media work in other European countries as necessary
• Monitor the media in Brussels and EU markets where ONE does not have an office, identifying trends and opportunities for ONE
• Research and pitch stories and interviews to print, broadcast and online media
• Draft and sell in press releases; draft and edit articles for publication
• Contribute to web and social media content, including blog posts
• Proactively identify media opportunities and coordinate all requests for media interviews
• Play a key role in the European media team, working with colleagues to ensure a co-ordinated approach to media in different markets.
• Play a key role in the Global Communications team, contributing to the development of ONE’s media positions globally, to ensure that all ONE media products are reflective of EU positions
• Any other duties as required.
Skills and competence required for the role (candidates should demonstrate how their experience meets these in their application):
• Significant track record in delivering effective media strategies.
• Demonstrable creativity and a flair for identifying interesting and newsworthy stories and successfully pitching them to a range of media outlets.
• Well-organised and able to deal confidently with media inquiries.
• A thorough understanding of the Brussels media market, as well as the requirements of different kinds of media i.e. print, TV, radio, and web. Social media experience is desirable.
• Outstanding written and verbal communications skills including the ability to synthesise complicated policy issues into digestible products and to deal with both elite and popular media and specialist and non-specialist audiences.
• Excellent time management, forward planning, and prioritisation skills, with the proven ability to work to deadlines.
• Proven ability to work under pressure and to respond to numerous requests, sometimes with little notice.
• Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and strong interpersonal skills
• Exercises good judgment in managing risks.
• A commitment to ONE’s policy priorities and a clear understanding of the links between policy, lobbying, campaigning and media work.
• Fluent English and French essential, other European languages a real advantage.
• Experience of working with high profile individuals, desirable.
• Knowledge of Africa and development issues.
• A comprehensive contacts book for Brussels-based journalists, desirable.