The Policy Officer shall be based in Brussels and provide policy-related support to ECDL Foundation, the certifying authority of the leading international computer skills certification programme – ECDL / ICDL.
Reporting directly to the EU Affairs Manager, the Policy Officer will be responsible for the various elements of the job description listed below. The duties outlined are not exhaustive and the incumbent will be expected to undertake additional duties as reasonably directed by the EU Affairs Manager and/or the Chief Executive Officer.
The Policy Officer is expected to have a strong interest in ICT skills and related policy issues. A proactive work ethic, independent motivation, previous experience representing an organisation externally and well developed writing skills, are essential for this role.
Policy responsibilities (70%):
- Maintain, strengthen and develop relations across the EU institutions in particular with a number of DGs
- Monitor EU policy developments relating to digital literacy and e-skills, e-Inclusion, ICT-related employment and growth issues, ICT Education, EU2020 and the DAE
- Represent the organisation externally to institutions and stakeholders
- Undertake policy analysis and produce regular and ad hoc reports on topics of interest
- Propose policy positions and produce publication-ready papers on EU activities and funding opportunities
- Communicate policy positions to relevant stakeholders
- Draft responses to relevant consultations
- Undertake and propose advocacy activities in line with agreed strategy and policy
Other key responsibilities (30%):
- Project management and reporting skills for EU projects
- Organise and support external events, conferences and high-profile workshops in line with policy and operational objectives
- Cooperate closely with other members of the team and assist with communications and/or administrative matters when needed
- Fluent command of written and spoken English and a good writing style: native command of English is essential for this role
- 3 to 4 years’ experience in a similar role
- Experience representing an organisation externally incl. to the EC
- High level of motivation to work independently in fast-paced, demanding environment
- Strong self-starting work ethic
- The ability to proactively identify opportunities and propose action
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Strong knowledge of, and previous experience working with the EU Institutions
- Strong strategic and communication skills.
- Be highly organised, detail-orientated
- Excellent knowledge of standard office applications (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.)