The International Diabetes Federation (IDF) is an umbrella organization of over 230 national diabetes associations in 170 countries and territories. It represents the interests of the growing number of people with diabetes and those at risk. The Federation has been leading the global diabetes community since 1950.
Job Title: Parliamentary Officer
Accountable to: Regional Director, IDF Europe
Overall Purpose of Job
The role will be line-managed by the IDF Europe Regional Director; the post-holder will also work closely with the advocacy and communications officers.
The overall objective of this function is to strive to improve parliamentary policy and practice on diabetes at national and European levels, by presenting decision-makers with a compelling case for change based on evidence, through lobbying and public campaigning.
Advocacy Issues and Background
In 2011, IDF Europe was invited to collaborate in the establishment of a pan-European parliamentary network: ExPAND. It is primarily targeted at national level parliamentarians but it also seeks to forge links with MEPs. Since its inception, it has attracted parliamentarians from various European countries. In 2014, IDF Europe has been tasked with taking the lead with this initiative and is therefore recruiting a Parliamentary Officer under 2 (two) year’ contract.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Devise and deliver a compelling parliamentary strategy to maximize the impact of IDF Europe and its member associations.
2. Act as the focal point for ExPAND’s activity. Build and maintain relationships with Parliamentarians and associated member associations to advance priority issues.
3. Manage and further develop the ExPAND Parliamentary Champions Network, and support its members to take action on priority issues.
4. Prepare written and oral briefings for Parliamentarians, and internal briefings, on key advocacy issues; respond promptly and appropriately to direct enquiries from Parliamentarians.
5. Generate Parliamentary pressure through letters, meetings, Parliamentary Questions, debates, and legislative amendments as appropriate.
6. Analyse, summarize and disseminate political intelligence, relevant debates and announcements to colleagues to inform IDF Europe’s advocacy work.
7. Contribute to planning visits for Parliamentarians to see work in the field carried out by IDF Europe national diabetes associations.
8. Develop and maintain a database of political contacts.
9. Co-ordinate all Parliamentary communications, including the production of a regular Parliamentary Update, supported by the advocacy and communication colleagues.
10. Ensure Parliamentarians receive timely information on diabetes related issues, with the support of advocacy and communication colleagues.
11. Build networks of allies with other Parliamentary Champions active in other regions of the International Diabetes Federation and globally.
12. Explore creative and innovative use of social media to improve contact with Parliamentarians.
Desired profile and Experience